5 Reasons Why You Need an Engagement Session | Bessie Young Photography
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world - Bill Wilson
In my wedding packages I include an engagement session. After sending my pricing and/or having an initial consultation with a potential client sometimes the question of 'we do not need an engagement session, how much would your price be then?' arises. I completely understand why the question is brought up and that is why this blog post is being created.
An engagement session is something that isn't just a frivolous formality. It matters.
Why you ask? Here are just a few of the many points:
- This special time is the time before you are married. These pictures are probably the last pictures you will have as a non-married couple.
- These pictures will show the true essence of your relationship. The engagement session is your style, your location of choice, and just the two of you being in love.
- These pictures can be used for your save the date cards, to give to family members as thank you gifts, and much more.
- These are memories that you will be handing down to your children, their children, and their children's children. Photos are meant to last a lifetime. You need to make sure that you take these moments and document them.
However, the engagement session is more than just pretty pictures:
- The relationship between the photographer and the couple is one of the most important vendor relationship to have. It may sound silly, but it is true. You are hiring your photographer, me, to capture your love. The love between you two is why you are having your wedding after all; therefore, I need to know how you both interact. What your style is, and how you show your love to the world. In order for me to capture your love I need to know you, you need to know me and be comfortable being yourself around me. You won't truly connect with any vendor the way you will connect with your photographer. You shouldn't think of your photographer as someone you are paying to take pictures. Think of the photographer as someone you are hiring to document you, your love, and this very special fleeting moment in your lives
I hope this article helps you really understand the necessity of an engagement session.
Wishing you nothing but the very best!
"To get the full value of joy, you must have someone to divide it with" - Mark Twain